Residence home - LKF Center
“first one in Spain, 100% adapted for serious functional diversity“
Residence home - LKF Center
“Housing model of Dutch origin”
¿Why is our house-home a pioneer model?
Supervised assisted living, the first one in Spain, 100% adapted for serious functional diversity, with 6 places subsidized in part by the Generalitat Valenciana.
It is the only model of supervised housing in Spain that offers indepence to young people with severe multiple disabilities and takes into account their social and health needs. This model of Dutch origin facilitates networking, community integration, the participation of the family and the promotion of friendships, in addition to relying on volunteers participation and the involvement of the community in general.
Supervised housing – Functional diversity – High involvement of the family – Small number of users – Personalized attention
Our home, located in the town of San Juan de Alicante and 300 meters from the hospital, responds to the needs of young people with severe disabilities of great dependence, as well as to the needs of their families.
It is a completely adapted house, full of light, color and serenity. It functions as supervised housing for residential care. Young people with severe disabilities are looked after by qualified personnel 24 hours a day, furthermore, families have a high participation in the care of these young people. It is more than just a house, it is a home, as all the teams, families and children form a large family who shares special moments, leisure, parties, etc. each and every day…
We have a large sensory garden and an orchard that delights everyone who strolls through it. The ground floor is specially adapted to allow chairs to roll in and out without problem. The plants are at wheelchair height, so they can be touched and smelled. There are two adapted swings and a water source which is wheel-chair accessible. There is space for use of our wheel-chair-adapted bicycles and we have an official boccia track. These facilities are available for users of the center and partners. Booking is required and use is subject to availability.
Committed to the environment
In February 2018, we received the first adapted, electric van in Spain. This allows our children to go out with their caregivers when necessary, and whilst simultaneously respecting the environment; one of our basic premises.
Why this housing model?
• New social need due to the increase in life expectancy. .
• Because for families it is the hardest time. They separate their children from their friends and from the people who have taken care of them all of their lives. The move away from the people who know them well and understand their needs.
• Much of this know-how and security is lost because at 21 years old these young people have to leave their schools.
• The families have to find a day center that accepts their children and that covers their social and health needs.
• They stop receiving financial assistance from the Dependency Law.
How to implement assisted living?
• Direct care expenses must be covered by public funds.
• Get a grant for this group of users.
• The families lead the “Supervised assisted living” project with the advice of Lukas Foundation.
• Form a group of interested parents, preferably that they already know each other and that their children are friends.
• The Foundation offers support, leaning on our experience and is willing to raise funds to adapt the housing.
• Support at the European level as a pioneering project in Spain.